Open House now recruiting again and are looking for young people with experience of the care system or who are at-risk in London with an interest in drama and the arts for the next Open House Project (starting 8th August). They use drama to confront destructive behavioural patterns and to rebuild self-confidence and self-discipline, helping care leavers and young people at-risk to get job ready and realise their potential. Participants will benefit from learning new skills, meeting new people, accessing wrap-around support and this time…being involved in the making of a feature film!!!
The programme comprises:
• Life Skills (tailored for the group e.g. mental health, money management, healthy relationships)
- Film and photography skills workshops
• Employability workshops
- Opportunity to complete a Bronze or Silver Arts Award
• Working alongside a professional film crew in the making of a feature film
The first and final 4 week blocks are 3 days a week and the middle 4 week block is full time Monday-Friday.
When members complete the course they will receive:
• A personal mentor for 12 months
• Continued ongoing support including access to a psychotherapist
• ETE opportunities and guidance in accessing these
• Day trips and visits to the theatre
Outcomes from the last Open House show that:
- 100% of young people said they feel more confident and happy
- 100% feel they are better able to deal with stressful situations and think clearly
- 100% feel more work ready
Outcomes from previous projects show that:
- 75% have moved into education, employment, or a new personal development opportunity in the 12 months following an OHP.
You can watch several videos on our website About Us and a teaser for The Big House productions The Realness and Knife Edge. For further information about the Open House Project, here is an Observer article which followed our Spring 2014 OHP.
Our weekly drop-ins are every Thursday at the Mildmay Community Centre from 5.30pm. These are fun, social evenings with drama games which anyone is invited to attend to get to learn more about The Big House.
If you’d like any further information then please get in touch and give me a call on 020 7923 9955.